BHP Blackwoods Roxby Downs Outback Cup Race Day Sat 5th August
The Roxby Downs Racing Club
The racing club was formed in 1991 and held its first unregistered meeting a year later.
The first registered meeting was in June 1994 and was attended by a very large crowd of about 2000 people.
The Club’s vision is to ensure a long-term sustainable annual race meeting to:
- Establish a unique race meeting that becomes a major event on the State’s social calendar
- Provide an entertaining and enjoyable day for patrons/community of Roxby Downs
2023 Roxby Downs Race Weekend Program
1st $1000, 2nd $400 and 3rd $100
Best Footwear Women’s
Kid Categories – Roxby Downs
Best Dressed 5 & Under 2017
Best Dressed 17 year and under
Best dressed under 10 years
Criteria for Roxby Races Fashions at the Races 2023
Suitability of the Outfit for Our Event
- Entrants should dress for the appropriate season (i.e. a Winter Cup)
- Footwear should be tailored to our conditions ie: dirt track, gravel, paved areas
- It is essential that entrants should wear Race Cup daywear fashion (appropriate to occasion)
Originality and Confidence
- Personality and originality of their outfit should make them stand out in a positive manner
- They should look and feel confident
Attention to Detail with Accessories
- Appropriate headwear is essential for ladies
- Men’s accessories should be considered but not essential
- The overall look must be considered in the judging i.e. bag, shoes, jewellery and headwear (the entire outfit must be complementary and cohesive)
Appreciation of Current Trends
- Entrants must show that they aware of current trends and interpret these in their own way (without losing personal flare)
Grooming and Deportment
- Entrants will be judged according not only to their outfit, but also the way they carry themselves on stage
- Hair, makeup and behaviour on stage will also be considered by the judges
Registrations will commence from 11:30am on race day.
Getting to the Races
The Roxby Downs Racecourse is located just on the outskirt of town, only 1km from the Shopping Centre or a 15 minute walk.
There is a walking track from the pony club to the race course.
Travelling thru Port Augusta from Adelaide, turn right onto Stuart Highway heading towards Cobber Pedy, Approximately 170km north of Port Augusta, turn right onto the Pimba Highway.
Follow the signs to Roxby Downs which is another 85km from Pimba.
Roxby Downs have few accommodation options:
- Roxby Downs Motor Inn – The Roxby Tavern (roxbydownstavern.com)
- Myall Grove Holiday Park – Roxby Downs, Central Corridor, South Australia | Discovery Parks (discoveryholidayparks.com.au)
Committee Members 2021
Club Vice President
Brenton Smith (life member)
Tom Hannigan (life member)
Phil McEvoy & David McNamara
No 1 Ticket holder – John Letts